+ Reply to Thread

Thread: User Guides and Hints Test Post

Brian Potter

Table for User Guides and Hints Documents inside Posting

Brian,

Superb -- just what I wanted. Is this coded with HTML table tags around the links? Can I just copy/paste to replace the useless 'HTML box' in my posting and then clean up the red stuff and whatever else? The borderless table is excellent -- less clutter and faster comprehension of what is what. If it's HTML, how can I view it? Via edit of your test posting?

A couple of changes maybe:
    • let's make 'forums' plural
    • let's say 'galleries/albums' [plurals] to match doc names and highlight equivalence of terms
    • let's say 'private messaging' with 'ing' even though VBulletin uses 'messages'

My idea was to have the columns reversed [UGs left, hints right] but yours is a much better arrangement since most often (after someone gets started) the UGs are extraneous and the hints (more dynamic in nature than UG) matter the most. I also like leaving off 'user' in the right column so it's just 'Guide' instead of 'User Guide'.

I was indeed following your excellent suggestion of a table of URLs but just could not manage to build the table. Also, could not upload the PDFs --- did you use FTP to a special folder on the website or did you use the VCalendar upload facilities and then capture the various URL names?

Thanks.

Burnette

Brian,

Answered my own Q about HTML for the doc links. I forgot that I have edit permission for stuff in this forum -- and I just edited your posting to see the HTML. That's what I was on my way to doing when I ran out of time last night with my first posting. Should the table tags be encapsulated in HTML begin/end tags?

Burnette

Brian,

Can I cross-reference the UG and Hints to each other via callout links so that a user could jump from one to the other using the current set of URLs?

As I send you new editions of the 10 docs (with new doc names) and the URLs change, how might we keep up any cross-referencing updating between the docs? Got any clever ideas? How about just always updating the UG/Hints docs in pairs so as to keep the cross-links up-to-date?

Burnette
    Last edited by BurnetteBlakeley; November 4th, 2011 at 02:47 PM.

Brian,

Just got through building a sticky thread that should replace most of the other threads in the forum. Thanks for your help in stashing the PDFs and building the table for the posting. I'll review each of the old threads before I soft-delete them as you suggested. Want to make sure that all of the info has been incorporated into one of the docs before I delete the thread. Soon all of this stuff should be reconstituted into a very compact form. Great idea you had!

Cleanup might take a few more days. Got lots of stuff on my plate for this weekend.

Burnette

Burnette... not exactly clear as to what you mean by cross-referencing the associated links. Since these are simple URL links, the documents are each downloaded separately. So I don't think there's anyway to link them together per se.

BTW, I would suggest compacting, or stream-lining the User Guide sticky posting so users immediately locate and access the guides and hints at the top. I found myself trying to click on the various colored and underlined expressions and it just seemed too complicated to quickly draw a user towards the meat of the post, which is the hints and guides. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnetteBlakeley View Post
    Brian,

Can I cross-reference the UG and Hints to each other via callout links so that a user could jump from one to the other using the current set of URLs?

As I send you new editions of the 10 docs (with new doc names) and the URLs change, how might we keep up any cross-referencing updating between the docs? Got any clever ideas? How about just always updating the UG/Hints docs in pairs so as to keep the cross-links up-to-date?

Burnette
    Brian Potter

Brian,

Yep. I was not very clear on x-ref'g. What I mean is that the UG links to the hints, and VV. Now I realize that if only the UG name changes then only the URL in the Hints needs updating. Not sure what I was thinking. That is name change on one; URL change on other. [UG to V2 means Hints must change its URL to V2 name but UG's URL does not need changing.]

Yep. Table of URLs needs to be at top. I shall move.

Burnette

Quote Originally Posted by bwpotter View Post
    Burnette... not exactly clear as to what you mean by cross-referencing the associated links. Since these are simple URL links, the documents are each downloaded separately. So I don't think there's anyway to link them together per se.

BTW, I would suggest compacting, or stream-lining the User Guide sticky posting so users immediately locate and access the guides and hints at the top. I found myself trying to click on the various colored and underlined expressions and it just seemed too complicated to quickly draw a user towards the meat of the post, which is the hints and guides. Just my opinion though.

+ Reply to Thread